THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE REGISTERING FOR SCENT SPORT CLASSES
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE REGISTERING FOR SCENT SPORT CLASSES:
- Enrollment in classes is open to club members and the public on a first come first served basis.
- Some classes do NOT require dogs on the first night of class. Please read the course description for more information.
- Dates for the first class are indicated and continue consecutively, unless otherwise indicated.
- Classes are generally limited to 8-10 dogs.
- ALL classes (generally composed of 6 one hour meetings) cost $120, unless otherwise noted. We reserve the right to cancel a class if there is not sufficient interest.
- SCCTC classes are taught using proactive and positive reinforcement training techniques that include the use of food, toys, and praise as rewards for correct behavior.
- We do not specialize in addressing aggressive canine behavioral issues and do not offer private training classes. We gladly provide training referral information to you as to where you may find support.
- Retractable leads should not be used on club property.
- Carry small dogs when going in and out of the club building.
- Keep doorways and ring gate openings free.
- Maintain a minimum of three feet between dogs at all times.
- Hold your leash close to the dog’s collar when moving past other handlers and their dogs or while simply standing and waiting. This control position allows you to react quickly to move your dog away from others who may be overly excited or nervous while passing.
- Females in season will be allowed in class/events only with approval of the Instructor. Please consult with your class instructor PRIOR to bringing her to class.
Doggie Rest Area:
- There is a fenced area next to our club building to potty your dog. We provide a scoop, pick up bags, and trash can for your convenience. When you come to the club building, please make it a habit to take your dog to the potty zone prior to entering the building as this will help to prevent potty accidents. If your dog has a potty accident inside the building, there is a basket stocked with the supplies needed for you to clean and disinfect the area.
- When training outdoors such as at our Mudlick Field make sure you bring potty bags to clean up after your dog.
- If your dog becomes ill with a contagious illness, such as kennel cough, contact your instructor immediately so the club may take appropriate action to limit the spread of disease.
Winter Weather Policy:
- SCCTC follows the Roanoke County Public School weather delay and closing schedule. However, check with your instructor as weather conditions may change throughout the day to allow classes to be held.
- When schools are delayed, SCCTC morning classes will be held.
- When classes are held on weekends, you will be notified by the instructor.
We look forward to helping you achieve your goals with your canine companion!